Saturday, August 13, 2011
return on creativity: patchwork coin purse
I saw a purse frame at JoAnne's last weekend on sale and decided to buy it. I had no idea how it worked, but then I had a stroke of luck. Bethany at Sweet Bee Buzzings had a tutorial with the exact same frame.
I read through her tutorial a couple times and then decided to give it a try.
1. Trace the outside of the purse frame and mark the hinge marks just like Bethany said. Then I cut out my purse frame shape, but nothing below.
2. Fold the paper in half and then cut out a rounded shape keeping the bottom flat.
3. Tape this to another piece of paper and measure a quarter inch all around to create a pattern with seam allowance.
4. Use the pattern to cut two lining pieces. Mark where the frame starts on each piece with a water soluble pen.
5. Create a sandwich of Craft Fuse, then muslin, then Wonder Under and iron it all together. Use the pattern to cut two outer pieces from your "sandwich". Mark where the frame starts on each piece with a water soluble pen.
6. Grab a bunch of fabric scraps.
7. Peel the paper backing off the Wonder Under. Start cutting scraps and placing them on the outside of the purse. Iron them into place. Note: Where your fabric overlaps it will not be ironed down perfectly, but you just want to create enough hold to keep everything in place for sewing.
8. Sew your machine to a zig zag stitch and stitch along all seams.
9. Cut around the edges of the purse removing the scraps.
10. Put outer purse pieces right sides together and sew around the edges stopping where the frame starts. Do the same with the two lining pieces. Cut notches around the curves.
11. Turn the purse outer right side out and put the purse outer inside the lining. Pin and sew around the top leaving a three inch opening.
12. Pull the purse outer through the hole and push the lining inside. Top stitch the opening closed.
13. Now the "fun" part. Sew the purse into the frame hiding your stitches and knots as best you can. Enjoy your cute little coin purse!